2012/05/28

The Reading List: Irredeemable & Incorruptible

I can't believe I still have this awkwardness in describing these things. Look, I think "comic book" sounds vaguely like I'm describing an issue of Donald Duck magazine or like I'm 12, and "graphic novel" sounds incredibly pompous.There's just no way to win this one.

Anyway, I've just went through Mark Waid's entire 37-issue run of Irredeemable and it was a pretty wild ride. The basic premise, I guess, is "what if a super-powered individual, a superhero if you will, snaps". Apparently much of earth gets decimated. I really wouldn't recommend it for 12-year old readers of Donald Duck magazine. But it's a pretty gripping story. The series "Incorruptible" is kind of a mirror image version of the tale, where a super-villain, reacting to the destruction wreaked in Irredeemable, finds himself turning into a hero. There's this neat kind of symmetry to the whole thing.

Highly recommended read.

Rating: *****
Comment: Loses steam in the middle for a bit before picking up again but what a ride

No comments:

Post a Comment